BPS School Board Meeting - 7/15/14by Amy Wenger on July 16, 2014
Even during the heart of summer vacation, the good news continues to trickle in for Bremen Public Schools. During the Tuesday evening session of the Board of School Trustees, a number of staffing developments and other positive reports made for an optimistic outlook on the upcoming 2014-15 school year.
Most prominently featured on the board agenda was the emergence of the top candidate for superintendent, with Dr. Jim White being chosen as the district's newest leader. Dr. White was a former Director of Technology for the Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation in the Indianapolis area, a position he maintained since 1999. Dr. White holds a degree as Doctor of Education, Educational Leadership and Administration, from Ball State University, an honor he earned in 2014. His credentials also include four additional years at Ball State, earning a distinction as an Educational Specialist, Educational Leadership and Administration, along with a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education that he earned at the University of Kansas in 1993. He also obtained his Master of Education status from Indiana University - Southeast.
Another significant announcement was that of the selection of Bremen High School's next girls varsity head basketball coach. Shaun Hill, who has previously coached as an assistant for the Goshen High School boys basketball program, will begin his new coaching duties this coming season. Hill has also been a physical education and health teacher at Goshen High School. A press release from Troy Holmes, BHS athletic director, notes, "Coach HIll has been a key contributor in player improvement programs, including basketball leagues, camps, and skill development activities during the off-season. In addition, he has coordinated and supervised agility and strength training programs for student athletes."
A number of additional staffing changes were approved upon by the board, including:
- Shannon Verhaeghe, BHS Special Education Aide
- Jamie Ove, Mental Health Therapist
- Londy Perkins, ENL Instructional Assistant
- Amber Lawmaster, Kindergarten Teacher
- Marilyn Houin, Bus Driver
- Patricia Dann, Special Education Assistant
- John Gish, ENL Teacher, Grades 5-12
- Ginger Holbert, 2nd Grade Teacher
- Vickie Cullen, Elementary PE Teacher
- Pamela Brower, Temporary 2nd Grade Teacher
- Christine Cook, 2nd Grade Teacher
- Kim Kincaid, BHS Math/Physics Teacher
- Kristi Whitinger, 3rd Grade Teacher
- Steve Gall, K-5 Assistant Principal
- Amber Lawmaster, Mental Health Therapist
- Ashley Simpkins, BHS Special Education Instructional Assistant
- Nate Rosentrater, K-8 Special Education Instructional Assistant
- Teresa King, BHS Drama Director
- Matt Miller, BHS Boys Assistant Basketball Coach
- Jerry Smith, BHS Boys Assistant Basketball Coach
- Katie Hall, BHS Cheerleading Coach
- Jerry Smith, BHS Boys Assistant Tennis Coach
- Sandy Moser, BHS Assistant Volleyball Coach
- Angela Troxel, Maternity Leave from September 22 through January 5
- Karen Neeley, Medical Leave for 2014-15 School Year
Other issues that received attention from the board were:
- An announcement that the Indiana Special Olympics program has given a grant to Bremen
High School's Unified Track Team in the amount of $2500.
- The acceptance of a $1000 donation from Dr. and Mrs. Tolle, to be gifted to the Bremen High
School cheerleading program.
- Allowing a number of school artifacts to be loaned to the Bremen History Center for display. Among the many iconic Bremen items that will be shared include the legendary "We Won't Boo, How 'Bout You?" sign that formerly hung in the old gymnasium, and the collection of 11 Disney themed paintings that adorned the walls of Bremen Elementary-Middle School.
The next session of the Bremen Public Schools Board of Trustees will take place on Tuesday, August 5 in the Bremen High School Media Center. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m.