[DNR] Free Fishing Weekend Events June 7- 8by Department of Natural Resources on June 4, 2014
For Hoosiers who have never cast a fishing line or haven’t cast a line in a while, Free Fishing Weekend, June 7- 8, is a great opportunity.
That's because Indiana's adult residents do not need a fishing license or a trout/salmon stamp to fish Indiana waters during Free Fishing Weekend.
Clint Kowalik, DNR Go FishIN coordinator, suggested several Free Fishing Weekend options for adults and families.
“Go alone to a quiet, secret spot, explore new waters with your family, or take a kid to a local fishing derby or city park pond," Kowalik said.
To celebrate Free Fishing Weekend, recreation areas across the state are planning fun fishing derbies, casting clinics, fish-cleaning demonstrations and cooking classes.
Properties hosting activities for Free Fishing Weekend are:
- Brookville Lake, Brookville, (765) 647-2657
- Buffalo Trace Park, Palmyra, (812) 364-6112
- Cagles Mill Lake (Lieber State Recreation Area), Cloverdale, (765) 795-3552
- Cecil M. Harden Lake (Raccoon State Recreation Area), Rockville, (765) 344-1412
- Cedar Lake, Cedar Lake, (219) 374-6157
- Chain O’Lakes State Park, Albion, (260) 636-2654
- Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, (317) 327-7110
- Fort Harrison State Park, Indianapolis, (317) 591-0904
- Hardy Lake, Austin/Scottsburg, (812) 794-3800
- Hurshtown Reservoir, Fort Wayne, (260) 627-3390
- J. E. Roush Lake Fish & Wildlife Area, Huntington, (260) 468-2127
- Lake Maxinkuckee, Culver, (574) 952-2963
- Lincoln State Park, Lincoln City, (574) 952-2963
- Logansport Isaac Walton League, Logansport, (574) 753-6969
- Marion Utilities, Marion, (765) 664-2391
- Mississinewa Lake, Peru, (260) 468-2127
- Monroe Lake, Bloomington, (812) 837-9546
- Mounds State Park, Anderson, (765) 649-8128
- Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge, Seymour, (812) 522-4352
- O'Bannon Woods State Park, Corydon, (812) 738-8234
- Patoka Lake, Birdseye, (812) 685-2447
- Pigeon River Fish & Wildlife Area, Mongo, (260) 367-2164
- Prairie Creek Reservoir, Selma, (765) 747-4776
- River Preserve, Bainter Town, (574) 535-6458
- Robinson Lake, Hobart, (219) 743-0679
- Salamonie Lake, Andrews, (260) 468-2127
- Sam Peden Community Park, New Albany, (812) 948-5360
- Saxony Park, Fishers, (317) 842-9550
- Shakamak State Park, Jasonville, (812) 665-2158
- Starve Hollow State Recreation Area, Vallonia, (812) 358-3464
- Summit Lake State Park, New Castle, (765) 766-5873
- Tippecanoe River State Park, Winamac, (574) 946-3213
- Trine State Recreation Area, Fremont, (260) 833-2012
- Versailles State Park, Versailles, (812) 689-6424
- Whitewater Memorial State Park, Liberty, (765) 458-5565
- Willow Slough Fish & Wildlife Area, Morocco, (219) 285-2704
Further information is available at dnr.IN.gov/fishwild/3598.htm.
Adults who decide they want to buy a license for the rest of the year can do so anytime atIndianaOutdoor.IN.gov. The standard resident license costs $17.
Children age 17 and younger do not need a fishing license in Indiana at any time.
All other fishing regulations are still in effect during Free Fishing Weekend.
People who need reasonable modifications for effective participation in Free Fishing Weekend events at DNR properties should contact the property at least 72 hours before the event or call the DNR ADA Coordinator at (317) 232- 4145.