BREMEN, INDIANA EDITION

Friday November 16, 2018

Facebook

 

Delays and Closings

---------------------------------
Last Updated:
Data Resets at 6:30PM Daily

People Section

Have a birth, engagement, marriage, anniversary, or obituary you want to appear in The People's Paper?
 
Email it to:
people@thepeoplespaper.info
We receive notices from:
Mishler's Funeral Home
Community Hospital Bremen
If you use another facility for birth or burial, consider submitting the information or pictures to us directly.
This is a free service.

NIPSCO Reminds Customers of Home Heating Safety

by NIPSCO on December 10, 2014
 

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. – With colder temperatures settling in, Northern Indiana Public Service Company
(NIPSCO) reminds customers of the importance of maintaining a safe home heating system.

An annual inspection is essential for every home’s furnace to ensure that it is working efficiently and to
help protect dwellers from safety concerns, such as carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas and a by-product of the
combustion of fuels such as coal, wood, charcoal, natural gas and fuel oil. It can be emitted by furnaces,space heaters, stoves, fireplaces, water heaters and automobile exhaust. CO can be poisonous ifallowed to accumulate in enclosed spaces.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are flu-like, including headache, dizziness, weakness,
nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. At high levels, it can cause loss of consciousness and death.

If you think you are suffering from CO poisoning, you should get fresh air immediately and call 911.

Take action to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
 Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home, making sure it’s clear of furniture or
draperies. Test the battery regularly.
 Do not use ovens, gas ranges or grills to heat your home.
 Never use a generator inside your home, basement, garage or other enclosed or partially
enclosed area.
 Never leave a car or lawn mower engine running in a shed, garage or in any enclosed space.
For more important safety tips, visit www.NIPSCO.com/StaySafe

    

Local Radar