Wakarusa Public Library Celebrates 70 Yearsby Shondra Brown on November 25, 2015
The Wakarusa-Olive, Harrison Township Public Library recently celebrated 70 years of existence at an Open House held in the Meeting Room of the Library. At the suggestion of Edith Bardo (an Elementary School Teacher with a desire to see children read), the Mothers Study Club established the Town’s library in 1945. What was once housed in a small narrow building on West Waterford Street has grown over the years and now includes over 74,000 items in the 11,400 square foot building where the library currently resides on North Elkhart Street. More than just a place to check out books, the library offers many programs and resources to the people of Harrison and Olive Townships.
On the cold and blustery afternoon of November 12, over 90 people were in attendance at the open house. Attendees had the opportunity to peruse scrapbooks that contained pictures and memorabilia spanning the past 70 years. Refreshments were served by the Friends of the Library, and giveaways included prize winning titles from the decade the library began. Dr. Robert Abel (who served on two of the library’s building committees) attended the afternoon’s festivities, giving a short speech to those who were in attendance. Included with his memories, Doc took the time to reminisce and praise Glenwyn Anglemyer, the libraries first director. He also encouraged Jo Geleske, the library’s current director, to keep up the good work, and to keep doing what she’s doing (it’s obviously working). He thanked Mrs. Geleske for the hard work she puts in to running the library, and let her know that Mrs. Anglemyer would be proud of the job she is doing. He continued to let the staff know he appreciates all they do for the community. Other attendees included past and present board members, along with families from the Harrison and Olive Townships.